Saunders Waterford® Watercolour Paper
General Storage and Handling Instructions
- Keep the paper in its original packaging until required.
- Store the paper flat.
- Avoid extremes of temperature or humidity.
- Do not store in direct sunlight.
- Handle the paper by the edges or underside. Avoid touching the area to be painted, as oils from the skin could affect the wash.
- Lighter weight papers (300g/m² and lighter) may benefit from soaking and stretching to avoid the paper cockling (buckling) when applying washes.
- Avoid exposing the paper to detergents, as these can affect the paper’s absorbency.
- Gelatine on the paper’s surface is most vulnerable when wet, and should be handled with care.
- Masking Fluid shouldn’t be left on the paper for too long, as it becomes harder to remove the longer it’s left, sometimes making it impossible to remove without damaging the paper’s surface.
- Avoid soaking the smooth HP sheets because the surface will become slightly rougher.
Fade Resistance and Framing
- Frame finished paintings with acid free materials to preserve the paper’s archival qualities.
- As with all original artworks, paintings should be framed behind glass and hung away from direct sunlight.